1 the act of sending a message; causing a message to be transmitted [syn: transmittal, transmitting]
2 communication by means of transmitted signals
3 the fraction of radiant energy that passes through a substance [syn: transmittance]
5 the gears that transmit power from an automobile engine via the driveshaft to the live axle [syn: transmission system]
- /tɹænsˈmɪʃən/, /tr
Transmission is the act of passing something on.
Specifically, it may refer to:
- Transmission (mechanics), a gear system transmitting mechanical power, as in a car
- Transmission (telecommunications), the act of transmitting messages over distances
- Transmission (medicine), the passing of a disease
- Transmission (magazine), a literary magazine based in the UK
- Transmission coefficient, in physics, chemistry, and optics.
- Transmission (TV programme), a British music television programme shown in the UK.
- Electric power transmission, one process in the delivery of electricity to consumers
- Data transmission, the conveyance of information from one space to another
- Transmittance, in optics, the propagation of a light wave through a medium
- Dharma transmission, the formal confirmation of a student's awakening in Zen Buddhism
- Transmission (spiritual), the act of passing on wisdom or enlightenment from a spiritual master to a disciple
- Transmission (genetics), is the passing on of genetic information.
- Transmission (audio), an upcoming album from the Diesel Street Kings
- Transmission (album), the fourth album by the Canadian band The Tea Party
- Transmissions (album), the first album by trance musicians Juno Reactor
- "Transmission" (song), a song by post-punk band Joy Division
- Transmission Communications, a record label
- Transmissions (Live at Woodstock) (1994) (Unofficial Enhanced CD and book set)
- Transmissions (live album) unofficial Red Hot Chili Peppers live release at Woodstock 1994
- Transmission (record label) a record label set by British rock band Porcupine Tree.
- Transmissibility (disambiguation page)
transmission in Afrikaans: Versending
transmission in German: Transmission
transmission in Persian: تراگسيل
transmission in French: Transmission
transmission in Italian: Trasmissione
transmission in Japanese: 転送
transmission in Japanese: 伝送
transmission in Dutch: Transmissie
transmission in Portuguese: Transmissão
FCC, FM broadcasting, Federal Communications Commission, Hydromatic, abalienation, account, acquaintance, alienation, amortization, amortizement, announcement, assignation, assignment, automatic transmission, bargain and sale, barter, bequeathal, blue book, briefing, broadcast, broadcasting, bulletin, carrying, cession, cogwheel, communication, communique, conduction, conferment, conferral, consignation, consignment, contagion, convection, conveyance, conveyancing, data, datum, deeding, deliverance, delivery, demise, deportation, diapedesis, differential, differential gear, diffusion, directory, disclosure, dispatch, disposal, disposition, dissemination, enfeoffment, enlightenment, evidence, exchange, export, exportation, expulsion, extradition, facts, factual information, fade-out, familiarization, forwarding, freewheel, gear, gear train, gearbox, gearing, gearshift, gearwheel, gen, general information, giving, guidebook, handout, hard information, high, impartation, imparting, impartment, import, importation, incidental information, info, information, instruction, intelligence, interchange, intermediate, knowledge, lease and release, light, low, mention, message, metastasis, metathesis, metempsychosis, migration, mixing, movement, moving, mutual transfer, neutral, notice, notification, osmosis, overdrive, passage, passing over, perfusion, presentation, promotional material, proof, publication, publicity, rack, radiobroadcasting, release, report, reverse, sale, sending, settlement, settling, sharing, shipment, shipping, sidelight, spread, spreading, standard broadcasting, standard transmission, statement, stick shift, surrender, synchromesh, telecasting, telling, the dope, the goods, the know, the scoop, tone control, trading, transduction, transfer, transfer of property, transference, transferral, transfusion, transit, transition, translation, translocation, transmigration, transmigration of souls, transmittal, transmittance, transmitting, transplacement, transplantation, transport, transportation, transporting, transposal, transposition, travel, vestigial transmission, vesting, volume control, white book, white paper, word